The privacy and protection of your personal information is a serious matter to Student Assistance Foundation (SAF) and our employees. That is why we are taking this opportunity to describe our privacy policies and the steps our company takes to protect your personal information.
The following Privacy Practices and Principles explain exactly how we protect your personal financial information:
Collection of Information
We collect nonpublic personal information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you through applications, forms or other correspondence
- Information we receive from a consumer reporting agency
- Information we receive from your school, lending institution, loan servicer or guarantor of your loan
Sharing of Information
We do not release, disclose, or sell nonpublic personal information about current or former customers to anyone, except as permitted by law.
SAF restricts access to your personal and account information to those employees and contracted third parties who need to know that information in order to provide products or services to you. Our employees and contracted third parties are required to keep any nonpublic personal information we provide to them confidential and secure and to use it only for its intended purpose or for other purposes described in this notice. We also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your nonpublic personal information.
Because of the many different relationships we have with the users of our websites, it is possible that disclosure of information provided by website users might be required in the delivery of our services to users in the following circumstances:
- When users have authorized the disclosure of information through certifications of loan applications and promissory notes, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and documents held by SAF and our partners such as schools, lenders, servicers, the U.S. Department of Education, and guarantors of the users’ financial aid.
- When we need to share information to provide services a user has requested.
- When we need to provide the information to our business partners that perform services for users.
- When we are required by law to disclose user information by order of court, pursuant to state, local, federal, or international statute, regulation or mandate, and in cooperation with law enforcement agencies.
Additionally, we may use information provided by users for the following internal purposes:
- providing services to users
- complying with local, state, or federal financial aid statutes and regulations
- ensuring accurate contact and billing information for users
- analyzing the efficiency of its websites.
Under our administration of the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP), SAF requires the disclosure of Social Security numbers by applicants for loans under FFELP. The primary uses of this information are:
- to verify user identity
- to determine user program eligibility and benefits
- to permit the servicing of user financial aid
- to certify user attendance and status at an approved higher educational institution
- to locate users.
The disclosure of a user’s Social Security number by a user is mandatory for the user to participate in the FFELP.
Your personal information is shared with:
- your school
- the lending institution from which you borrowed
- our loan servicer
- credit reporting and student loan reporting agencies
- guarantors of your loans.
This sharing of information is performed as permitted by law or as necessary to process and service your student loan. In addition, SAF intends to share publicly available information (name, address, telephone number, email, etc.) for the purposes of conducting educational and charitable efforts. Contact by SAF could occur while your loans are outstanding, as well as after they have been paid in full. You may choose to opt out of the disclosure of your publicly available personal information for the purpose of this kind of contact by checking the box by the statement under the section entitled “Opt Out.” Sign the statement and return it to SAF at the address below. You have thirty (30) days to return your opt out to SAF before any contact begins. At any time after those thirty (30) days, you may still return your opt out, after which point SAF will not send you any additional solicitations.
OPT OUT I hereby direct that Student Assistance Foundation not disclose my publicly available personal information for the purpose of conducting educational and charitable efforts. Signature: ___________________________________________ Print Name: __________________________________________ Social Security Number: __ __ __ - __ __ - __ __ __ __
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact us using the information below:Student Assistance Foundation
PO Box 5209
Helena MT 59604-9947
(800) 852-2761 ext. 6657